termsrv.dll patcher for Windows 7 RTM Ultimate, Professional, Home Premium 64 bit and 32 bit
Home Premium works as it did with Vista you got the clipboard but no audio
tested on Russian, German, Hebrew, Japanese language systems http://www.mediafire.com/?q5kbp4bfoa0riwq
changlog: 02/23/2011 added SP1 support.
note:I am also posting the source so it can be fixed and maintained by the community which can be found at this link: http://www.mediafire.com/?qis33sfqq1l33p8
Thanks for posting this. Any thoughts as to whether there will ever be a Home Premium version?
If that doesn't work out, what exactly is the upgrade path from Vista Home Premium to W7 Pro? I've got W7 HP on order, but if I really have to get PRo... not sure what the easiest/cheapest way is.
EDIT: AWESOME to hear that Home Premium is working OK now. No sound, no problem.
HTPC: W7 RTM x32 - HTPC (and x64-Desktop) Athlon X2 Kuma 2.7 GHz Gigabyte MA78GPM-UD2H Sapphire 5670 HDMI to Panasonic 50" Plasma TOSlink to Onkyo SR603B (DTS/DD only)
doesn't this type of patching prevent extenders from connecting?
I remember reports of extender not connecting, but I thought it was a certain brand of extender, not sure though.
Thanks for posting this. It worked first try for me, though I do have strange issues. Wondering if anybody else has the same problem.
I'm using Win 7 64 bit Ultimate RTM, and an XP client (though I've tried a Win 7 client with same issue).
The issue is that some basic stuff on the remote connection stops working when another user is active on the console (at the PC itself). Things that don't work: playing videos (tried diff players, diff video formats) and Java in Firefox (for example E-Trade streaming quotes.) Essentially all of these things hang whenever a user logs into the console. As soon as they log off, or go inactive, all of the stuck programs resume.
Easy to reproduce for me. 1) Logon locally as a User A. 2) Logon remotely as User B. 3) From the remote connection attempt to open any video file. Windows Media player will open partially, and then it hangs. 4) Log of the local user, then the player plays the video on the remote connection. Very odd.
Would very much appreciate if someone could try the steps above and report. Would even more appreciate if someone can figure out the issue. I've tried quite a few things already.
I suggest renaming the "readme.nfo" file to "readme.doc" or "readme.txt". Windows interprets the .nfo suffix as being associated with Microsoft Information. Depending on how you have your system set up it make require a few steps to open it in a different program.
Chris CowlesGaineville, FL
I tried posting a link to this to MissingRemote's W7 patch page (because they still say there's no W7 Home Premium version), but my old username doesn't work and I wasn't able to re-register for some reason. Does anyone have a working login there, to update it?
I put links in the comments to this thread.
Thanks very much for this, I will be trying this ASAP.
This is probably a stupid question but I'm gonna ask anyway: Do I install this on the PC that I want to remotely control OR the one I'm using to do the controling OR both?
Use it on the one you want to be the server--the one you want to remotely control. No harm in installing it on both sides though. That way, if you want to go the other direction, you're all set!
When using this hack on Vista Ultimate, I have users with no passwords setup and I can log in to those accounts with xp rdp. Is this also possible with Windows7?
Yes, there's a switch for that I believe. I set it up that way myself (with Vista and W7RC). I don't remember offhand how; I'll have to look at the directions again. But it's doable unless something changed in RTM.
Untermensch... I just installed W7 RTM Home Premium x64 onto my desktop and the patch at the above link isn't working. When I run it as administrator I get a message:
Only for Windows 7 Build 7600.16385.090713-1255
I'm definitely running the RTM; just downloaded it from DigitalRiver and installed it myself.
Haven't tried upgrading my HTPC yet. Later this weekend for that job!
A progress update:
I got it working on my RTM Home Premium x64 machine. I edited the install.cmd a bit to bypass the product name and build checks. For some reason, though my registry keys matched the expected values (for both productname and buildlab keys), the script was triggering the unsupported branch. So, I hacked around that.
Then, when I ran it, it gave an error that seemed to indicate the script didn't handle two-part user names. The folder was on my desktop and the script seemed to barf since my user name is in "FirstName LastName" (with space in between) format. So I moved the folder to the C: root directory and ran from there. Success. I never learned this variation of scripting so I was lucky to get this far. Otherwise I would post suggested mods but probably you can debug it in a minute to help others.
No idea why it failed for me since my keys matched. Sigh. But thanks man! You did the heavy lifting.