I have our local Telco's IPTV solution, and they are moving from MPEG2 or MPEG4 so they switched out our Set Top boxes from RCA to the Motorola VIP1200. My Media Center used to work fine with the RCA and the setup was a breeze with it, but when I try to set it up to get the codes for the new Motorola remote, it always comes back with Remote Not Recognized. I have changed the batteries in the remote, I have shut off all the lights, I have stood my head, etc. but it will not recognize the remote during setup. The red light comes on the Microsoft IR Receiver, but that is justs its way of laughing at me.I gave up on the "quick" detection when it asks you the hit "0", and went to the more detailed "Press these 13 keys" way. It will not accept the "1". It knows I hit a button, because it tells me to Press and Hold the Button, then Keep Holding the Button, and finally, Release the Button. But it never moves off the "1". After 20 or 30 attempts, it tells me to try changing the batteries, or other "you must be dumb" remark.
I should mention that it did go from "Press 1" to "Press 2" once (and only once in the hundreds of attempts) but it never went off of that to the next button. After some searching I found the code for the remote on a TIVO thread, and it is 10081. Does Vista need an upgrade to recognize a newer remote? Any way to trick MC to use a "code" instead of going through that setup process?Any suggestions, or people letting me know I am not alone, would be grateful!
I know your pain. I have been unable to get it to recognize the VIP1200 remote. I am thinking about asking Aliant to get one of the RCA boxes back. I can't find help either.
EUREKA! THIS ALIANT CUSTOMER IS RECORDING AGAIN THANKS TO THE POST BELOW! I COPIED IT RATHER TYPE IT ALL OVER AGAIN. YOU CAN THANK RMarch
I would definitely recommend adding this "tip" to your document. May not happen often but could be a lifesaver for those that run into the problem I had...
After messing around and reading posts for 4 hours straight I finally figured it out. I read an unrelated post that stated press number zero then turn the remote away and press number 1 ... This unrelated idea to turn the remote away combined with a statement in the document in this post about needing to get an identical signal to ensure no mistakes made me try the following:
I thought about this for a moment and tried pressing 1 while pointing at the ir receiver, then turning the remote away from the ir receiver (actually pointed it in a sweatshirt to make sure no signal was received) and pressing 1, then turning the remote back at the ir receiver and pressing 1 again. It worked! Channel learned. I repeated this process for all channels and not only did they get learned but they now work flawlessly.
Somehow my remote must toggle between signals and mce could not get a consistent signal to learn on consecutive attempts. By covering up the remote I tricked mce into getting a consistent signal. Still puzzled why the remote does this as the STB works fine with MCE now sending a constant signal (it did not learn the alternating signal so it must just know the non alternating signal I taught it).
Thanks a lot!!! That worked! I grabbed a blanket, started the learning process by pointing the remote to the reciever, pressing the button and instead of repeating it, I put the remote into the blanket, pressed the same button, and then put it back to the receiver and pressed it again. Voila.. it picked it up... 13 button presses (times 3!) later, it had picked them all up.
Aliant won't send you a RCA modem back because once they finish replacing them all, the channels are going to be MPEG4 encoded instead of the current MPEG2. The RCA would be able to give you sound, but the picture would be blank. The nice thing is we should see an increase in the quality, although I already did with just the STB upgrade. Hopefully sometime this year they will start sending a 720p signal and activate the HDMI connector on the back.
Thanks again, and thanks RMarch for the solution!